There are many reasons why you should incorporate fish into your diet. Fatty fish like tuna, mackerel, salmon, etc. are rich in omega-3 fatty acids which can help:
- Lower your blood triglyceride (fat) levels and reduce your risk of heart disease
- Reduce inflammation if you have arthritis or acne
- Improve your brain health and reduce your risk for memory loss
- Battle depression
- The list keeps going!
Fish is also a rich source of Vitamin D and B12. Vitamin D is essential for bone health and your immune system. Vitamin B12 is essential for heart health and your nervous system.
The American Heart Association recommends eating fish at least twice a week in order to optimize these benefits. Whether you broil it, bake it, mix it with a little light mayo, the benefits are definitely worth it.
This is one of my favorite fish dishes I like to have once a week:
- Baked salmon drizzled with a little olive oil and seasoned with salt and pepper
- Black rice cooked in chicken broth
- Steamed broccoli or any vegetable I have on hand